The Dequest range includes phosphonates, polymers and inulin derivatives, the latter being designed for an improved environmental and toxicological profile. Dequest products can be used as antiscalants, dispersants and chelants in cooling water treatment / boiler water treatment applications and as antiscalants in waste water treatment applications.
Dequest phosphonates and polymers have been a valued component of cooling tower treatment packages for many years. The goals of a water treatment service company are to control corrosion, scale, fouling and microbiological growth in their customers’ cooling water systems. Dequest phosphonates and polymers are cost-effective components of the treatment package for several reasons:
- Dequest phosphonates, polymers and inulin derivatives are extremely effective threshold scale inhibitors. They can be used alone or in combination at very low levels to control the calcium, magnesium, carbonates and sulphates which are concentrated in the cooling tower through evaporation.
- Dequest phosphonates are good corrosion inhibitors, especially in combination with other inhibitors and Dequest polymers are used to stabilize these corrosion systems.
- Dequest phosphonates, polymers and inulin derivatives are very effective dispersants, helping to prevent fouling.
The generation of steam in boiler systems is a severe service for water, often requiring sophisticated water treatment and maintenance. At the high temperatures seen in boilers, scale deposits can become a serious problem, causing tubes to overheat and potentially to fail. Dequest phosphonates and polymers are used inside boilers in either of two ways:
- Dequest phosphonates and polymers can be used in a phosphate program to modify or “condition” the calcium phosphate sludge formed, to make it less adherent and keep it dispersed (Phosphate programs are based on forming calcium phosphate instead of hard, sticky calcium carbonate).
- Dequest phosphonates and polymers are also used in chelating or solubilizing programs (usually based on EDTA or NTA) as a supplemental calcium carbonate scale inhibitor. Using Dequest allows the amount of chelant to be reduced, lowering the corrosivity of these programs.
Finally Dequest phosphonates, polymers and inulin derivatives can be used as antiscalants in waste water treatment plants and effluent pipes.