Industrial & Institutional cleaning products are formulated to meet the needs of a large and diverse market; segments include janitorial, institutional dishwashing, industrial bottle washing, dairy, brewery and food processing equipment cleaning, institutional laundry cleaning, textile maintenance, health care and surface disinfection, vehicle cleaning, metal cleaning and as well as all other industrial cleaning operations. The multi-functional Dequest® phosphonates have several properties which bring value to a cleaning formulation:
- They are excellent chelants and can be used to control water hardness ions, such as calcium, magnesium but also trace metal ions (iron, manganese, copper, zinc, …).
- They are very effective scale inhibitors at very low levels (threshold effect), reducing scale build-up caused by water hardness ions.
- They act as dispersants and so keep soils suspended
- Unlike aminocarboxylates and polycarboxylate chelants, selected phosphonates have the ability to protect bleach from decomposition by trace metal ions
Dequest® phosphonates perform exceptionally well in cleaning products for the dairy industry. They are well-suited for use in dairy formulations because of their ability to work at virtually any temperature and pH level and because of their resistance to chemical degradation. They are used to:
- Prevent calcium scale buildup by threshold inhibition
- Improve washing effectiveness by chelation and dispersion, and
- Inhibit spotting and staining of metal surfaces (chelation and scale inhibition)
The multi-functionality of the Dequest® phosphonates make them well suited to formulation in vehicle wash products. Threshold activity against hardness metal ions (calcium and magnesium) guard against the formation of hard water scum. Sequestration of heavy metals aids overall detergency and cleaning ability. Dispersancy prevents redeposition of soils on vehicle surfaces. Corrosion inhibition not only offers protection of aluminium alloys, but may also aid in brightening of aluminium. Dequest® phosphonates have a high solubility in liquids, making them a preferred component in many newer liquid vehicle wash products.